Welcome to my weekly tutorial of what do to with your hair!! People are always asking me
"How did you do that to your hair?"
And so here are my answers, trials, and step by step tutorials of
"How you can do that to your hair, too!"
Happy Tuesday girls!! ( I can be sexist here, because I'm just going to assume that no guy is looking forward to what I'm doing with my locks this weekend ;) )
I have to give some disclaimers ahead of time for this week's tutorial ;) 1. I apologize for the non makeup in my video. and 2. I'm a little clumsy in my video this week. Feel free to laugh along with me or even at me. I give you permission.
So here we go:
What you need
- a teasing comb or brush
- bobby pins
- a headband of some sort (optional and can be the elastic or hard headband)
- a slight ability to braid ;)
This week's do is in two parts. I first started with the teasing of your hair.
What you do
- start with a quick brush of your hair if it's straight. You can certainly pull this off with curly hair. Just give it a soft comb through at the crown so that you don't have to deal with super tangled curls.
- pin bangs to the side like I have unless you want them to stay out which you can also definitely do.
- part your hair at the crown and push it forward. Once parted directly at the crown, move down half an inch and part if again so your poof has support from below.
- now take layer by layer from the hair that you've pushed forward and start to tease. Make sure you're teasing the sections evenly.
- don't be afraid of volume, because it's always easier to comb out volume than to add it back in while you're half way through your do'.
- stop teasing once you've reach the middle of the top of your head. Push this section of your hair gently over your lovely poof and finger comb until you have nice even volume to your liking.
- this is also where you can take volume out by finger combing if you got a little tease happy.
***however, don't be afraid to leave it high if this is your first time, because once it's all complete the volume will give you a chic beautiful bun. I promise, you're not going to look like snooky when you're done. :)
Next step is the actual do. In the video I'm adding a front braid to disguise my bangs, but you have several options: 1. leave your bangs out and loose 2. add a headband (see picture below) or 3. pull all of your hair back if you have long unlayered hair.
What you do
- section off an inch of hair from your hairline back and over in the direction that your braid is going to go.
- pin back loose hair so that you can braid without getting sections mixed up.
- start your braid with 3 strands and start braiding down the front of your head.
- a trick I learned is to only pick up more hair when you're tucking the outer strand back under, so basically you're only picking up hair on the same side every time, not like in a regular French braid when you're constantly picking up more hair.
- stop picking up hair about ear level and finish braiding out your hair.
- tuck it with a bobby pin out of the way so you can create your do first. sexy I know ;)
- pull back your hair about an inch above your hair and go down and around the area you teased before.
- when your fingers meet, switch all hair into one hand and twist both sections together gently.
- pin with a bobby pin from the other direction and it should hold the entire thing up. It took me awhile to get this right for my hair so just play with it for a minute to get the right hold for you. (for super heavy hair, add a second bobby pin immediately after)
- now start pulling sections up under and around the bun, twist the ends in and pin.
- don't forget to take your braid, loop it around the bun and secure it with more bobby pins. it can be as loose or as tight as you please.
- don't forget to hair spray when you're done and fix whatever sections before doing so.
- if you have a little too much volume for your liking gently pull it down in the back in pin it.
don't forget to add your make up, your holiday outfit, earrings and have a fantastic time!
or skip the braided section, pull your hair over the poof and add a headband!
* happy hair holidays *